The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

A quick fish pie



As I wandered through the Rheda Wochenmarkt, I stopped at the fish stall, they don’t normally have a great selection of fresh fish, but I saw they had haddock (schellfisch) fresh not smoked, but they did have smoked halibut, thinks :?:  what can one do with those, well I decided on fish pie, I visited the spud stand and got 2kg of Sissi (a very nice potato for mash). I next went to a discounter beginning with A and ending in I as I know they always have very reasonable Prawns and Stremmel Lachs ( a speciality of the Baltic, hot smoked salmon).
When home late, really too late to cook and eat, but as I hadn't eaten since 13:00 at the shoot, I was really quite peckish.

So it was the haddock and halibut into a pan with 400ml milk , a piece of onion, a crushed garlic clove and a few pepper corns, a piece of mace, a bit of cinnamon bark, 2 slivers of lemon peel, a bay leaf, 2 cardamom pods and 2 cloves. Brought to the boil and lowered the heat, allowed to simmer, then turned off the heat and let it sit in the milk and aromatics to infuse.


Took the haddock and halibut out of the milk and poured the poaching liquid through a sieve.


Mean time I made my mash, 3 spuds cut quite small, boiled allowed to steam dry, mashed and then added a good knob of butter, a grating of nutmeg and some chopped parsley.

I arranged the prawns in an oven proof dish and flaked in largish pieces, the Stremmel  Lachs, topped this with the  flaked haddock and smoked halibut.
I next made a Béchamel, mustard and blue cheese sauce (I had a piece of Blue Vinney that I needed to use up)

25g butter melted in a sauce pan, added 25g of flour, made a roux and cooked it out, added a ½ a tsp. of mustard powder, slowly poured in the cooking liquor then cooked it, adding the blue cheese and a pinch of marigold stock powder.




It should coat the back of a spoon, poured this over the fish, allowing about 10mm space at the top. Spooned the mash on top (starting at the outside and working inwards), when it is all covered, smooth with a palate knife and then criss-cross pattern with a fork.


 



Put into a very hot oven to brown the top, serve piping hot. You will notice I didn’t add any peas or hard-boiled egg, reason was I didn’t have any!


And here we have it



No comments:

Post a Comment