The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Teriyaki beef with Udon noodles and a Japanese salad


I had been to our local abattoir to see what they had on special offer and saw that they has fillet steak for a paltry €20,-a kilo, now this was a bargain so I decided to get myself a thick 300g chunk, not knowing what I was going to do with it. I must tell you that at the minute I am on a diet to get my cholesterol, triglyceride, sugar and weight down (I was bordering on the obese level). This had been playing havoc with my sugar levels. I am doing the 5&2 method, this is where you fast for two days and eat normal for 5 days. The two fast days (below 600Kcals/day) can be any 2 days that you choose, it is not a fixed day so you can swap any day that doesn’t suit you. I have lost 7kg in about 6 weeks and do not find it a hardship, with a bit of fore thought you can come up with some very nice and tasty (important) food in a 300Kcal menu, and that twice a day will do the trick. I had bought the steak on Thursday on my way to the Docs for get my 6 monthly check up, with the view of cooking it on Friday, but how was the only problem.
I was reading a magazine in the waiting room and in it was an oriental section and part was taken up with healthy Japanese food culture and there it was beef Teriyaki with a Japanese salad.

I have adapted this as they used bottle sauce and I have made as near as I could an authentic sauce.

Fillet steak Teriyaki with Japanese salad.

For one person (I am just one)
You shall require:

275-300g fillet steak sliced into not too thin slices
 
Teriyaki marinade sauce

2 tbsp. wok oil
4 thin slices of ginger

100g sugar snap peas
100g green beans

½ tsp. salt
2 small chilli’s sliced thinly

1 small tomato diced
1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds

To make your own marinade
3 tbsp. of mirin

2 tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 tbsp. honey

2 tsp. dry sherry (instead of sake)
2 tsp. rice vinegar (the type used to make sushi rice)

1 tsp.  grated ginger
1 spring onion sliced fine

Mix all of the ingredients together and marinade the steak in this for at least 6 hours.
 

 
Bring a pan of water to the boil add the salt and blanch the beans, remove with a slotted spoon and cool in ice water, repeat with the sugar snap peas.

Noodles
1 sachet (200g) Udon noodles

1 sachet of miso soup
Make the miso soup to 5ooml

Add the noodles and heat through
 
The salad

½ red pepper sliced on a mandolin

1 spring onion cut into 3 cm pieces and sliced length ways very thin

3 cm piece of carrot grated
The sugar snap peas sliced very fine

2 tbsp. Gari (pickled ginger)
1 tbsp. sesame oil
Place all on a large platter leaving space for the Udon noodles and drizzle with the sesame oil.

Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok, add the ginger and fry for a few seconds, drain the steaks (don’t rub the marinade off) and add to the pan, now stir fry quickly, remove and set aside.
 
 
Now add the rest of the marinade add the green beans, the diced tomatoes and sesame seeds
 
Place the noodles in the middle, put the sliced steak on top and pour over the teriyaki sauce with the chilli bean sauce.

That’s it folks.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment