The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Truffle risotto, steamed salmon and egg frit

We had been having a discussion on the Wildfood food board about a poached egg frit, this was a poached egg and then deep fried. Some of us decided to try and replicate it (well the culprit was our dear Brussels pâté, Belgium Endive (Elisa). She had done a one on Friday or was it Thursday; in any case it had turned out very well.


It had set my old grey cells in motion to see what place it could have in a meal, I had received a real authentic packet of Truffle Risotto as part of my cookery club Christmas present from Linda (max €10,-), I had been into the market earlyish (after a pigeon shoot, but that is the next blog)and got a piece of Pacific fresh salmon, the fish monger didn’t find it funny when I pointed out that we didn’t have a sea board with the Pacific here in Europe, so it had, had a might long swim! (German lack of humour here).

So it was to be :

Truffle Risotto with steamed lemon salmon (Fresh Pacific LoL) topped with a deep fried poached egg.

So first off poach your self an egg, make sure that it is fresh, that way the albumen holds together in a mound around the yolk.

Poach until the white is just set and immediately transfer to ice cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside until required.
an egg in the mist


Marinated salmon

Place the salmon on a plate and grate a little lemon zest over the salmon, grate a couple of turns of pepper and drizzle some lemon olive oil and a few drops of Pumpkin seed oil on top and add some herbal sea salt. Cover and allow to marinate)

I had the day before made a few liters of chicken stock, this went onto boil, I diced a shallot and sautéed this in olive oil, I then added the packet of truffle risotto, it also contained cêpes. Coating the grains in oil and cooking until they started to turn translucent. Now added a wine glass? of white wine (an Italian of course Pinot Grigio), let the alcohol boil off and started to add the hot stock, a ladle at a time allowing it to be absorbed before adding more, stirring, stirring all the time (some say you don’t have to, but this is the way I was taught and that is the way I shall continue)

































In the mean time I put the salmon on to steam (Chinese bamboo steamer over boiling water)















While the risotto was finishing and the salmon steaming I cut the egg yolk and some of the white out of the poached egg with a cutter,















I next coated it in season flour, then in egg,

















then in panko crumbs,


repeating the last 2 stages to get a real thick crust.


I had heated some vegetable oil in a small pan (I could have used the friteuse but what a waste of oil for just one egg), I may have left it in a tick long as the egg yolk was not as runny as I like, though I think it would have been to Linda’s liking

So it was Risotto into a deep plate, steamed salmon on top and the egg on top of that, a few strategically placed marjoram leaves and a few Sel de Fleur flakes on top of the egg.

It was truly fantastic and of course washed down with a glass or two of Pinot Grigio.



I shall be doing it again, thanks, Aero and Belgium Endive for the fantastic idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment