The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

Jams and preserves

This year I have decided to do a bit of preserving and jam making, I shall be using the sugar reduced preserving sugar in my case Dr Oetkers as I support local folks, but primarily as I am a diabetic to enable me to participate in eating it, not just making it. I have already made cherry jam and heidelbeeren (billberry) jams. I will see if I can find the recipes and put them on here. I shall of course be making my mothers green tomato and apple chutney as I am down to my last jar. I do believe that Linda now that she is out of hospital will be making Mamtas plum chutney.

Blackberry and Apple Jam














1 kg of blackberries washed and picked over to remove stalks, mouldy ones and maggots



500g of apples (sour ones) peeled, cored and chopped

500g of 1:3 jam sugar

½ teaspoon of mixed spice

½ teaspoon of ground ginger

Small handful of chopped lemon balm









Good scraping of nutmeg











1 pkt of powdered citric acid

1 slug of Cassis (the slug can be as big or as little as you wish)

Tablespoon of apple vinegar

6 washed jars and their lids, put into the oven to sterilise (I use 120°C)


Heat the apple with the apple vinegar and when soft, mash roughly (I like a few rough bits left in, as it proves that there is apple in it).

Now heat the blackberries with the rest of the ingredients adding the apple mush.


Bring to the boil stirring continuously to stop any sticking to the base of the pan.


After about 3 minutes do the jam test, (have a small saucer in the fridge, take out, place a small amount of the jam onto it, it should wrinkle when pushed with a finger nail, whose and which I shall leave up to you).

Place the jars on a tablecloth covered flat surface (for Gods sake use hand protection)

Now fill each jar brim full (I use a funnel that is specially made for jam filling as my hand isn’t as steady as it was).

On with the lids (watch those fingers the jam and the jars are hot), turn upside down and allow to cool a bit, this procedure seals the jars.



Spiced Damson and Apple preserve



This is a spiced preserve as opposed to a jam and is meant to be not as thick and have pieces of fruit in it. It is a very good accompaniment to game dishes.

2 kg of ripe damsons



1 kg of sour apples (I used white klarapfel)
 http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weißer_Klarapfel

About a 2” piece of ginger, peeled and grated

3 good pinches (messer spitzen) of Cayenne powder

1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon of mixed spice

½ teaspoon of ground mace

1 kg of 3:1 jam makers sugar (I use Dr Oetkers, but any make will do)

Heat the damsons and apples together until they start to give off their juices, add the spices stirring continuously, now add the preserving sugar and keep stirring until it boils.


Now pour into sterilised glass screw lid jars (this made 10) same procedure as above.

More to follow as the season progresses

click on to link to recipe
Cherry, Apricot and peach Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment