The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

A relaxing day and my old school revisited

Thursday 09.06.11

I decided to do a bit of catching up with my e-mail etc, so asked my sister where the library was now situated, she said “in a new building next to your old school”, now that was easy, I knew my way to school blind folded or so I thought, the rural planners have much to answer for, the route that I used to take is now criss-crossed by roads and bypasses, new housing estates. I eventually arrived at the new resource centre, it has everything, Clinic, Chemists, library, part of the old school has been turned into adult education, with various activities taking part, I like the idea of my old school being put to good use.


I had dropped Linda off at the railway station so that she could do a bit of girly shopping in the Toon. So that was her being kept happy for a few hours.


The front of the old school with the library on the left. The first part was the art room, then Mr Gooney's, French and English, then ground floor the Head Master, upstairs the library,next Mr Graham Geography and then another English, at the corner was the metal work craft room

I went into the library and enquired about using the on-line facilities, a nice helpful lady (all Geordie ladies are nice, but this one particularly so), told me that I would need to join, first question “where do you live”, answer “Germany”, thoughtful look and “weel wae arr ye stayin hinney”, at my sisters in Backworth, weel tha’tll dee. Thank God for people that can get around red tape. We had a little chat about old Shire, though she was a good few years younger she knew a lot of the old village prior to the planning vandals getting their hands on it. I set about doing my business and found I was running out of my free 30 mins, went back to MY new friend and for the princely sum of £1 I got another 30 mins.

It was just closing for lunch, but I thought I would take a look at the exterior of my old learning place. I went to the place of my very last dastardly deed, the playing field, still much as I remembered. I stopped and reflected on that last day of term back in 1965, the senior forms played cricket against the teachers, I wasn’t a bad seam (called fast in those days) bowler, but to my horror I had been picked to be Mr. Gooney’s runner. Mr Gooney was our form teacher, French and English; he hadn’t been to the war as most of our other masters had been as he had paralysis in both legs and had supporting callipers. I think the fact that he couldn’t talk his exploits in WWII like the other masters gave him a vindictive streak; he could throw his walking sticks and get you square between the shoulder blades at 30 paces, with a “SMITH do not run in the quadrangle”. I do believe that the dislike was mutual.
The quadrangle not a patch on its original glory. First class right was RI, then came the music room, right in front that was the door to Mr Gooney



On this final day being picked to be a runner was the worst possible shame that could be heaped on my shoulders, in front of all of my team mates having to run for the enemy!!!.



The scene of retribution
 He took up his stance and fatty Thornton bowled a ball that my dead aunt Sally could have sent to the moon, he hit it and it went to midfield and he shouted “run Smith run”, I ran, but only as far as mid-wicket, I then turned, grinned and said “your out” and walked off the field to the rapturous applause of all of the crowd, I do believe I saw Taffie Morgan the technical drawing master give me a wink or was it just that a bit of grass had become lodged in his eye as he turned with tears streaming down his cheeks and doubled up coughing and spluttering.



The  room to the left with the chimney on was the metal work crafts room, that and the technical drawing room top floor was Taffy Morgans domain, Welsh and a fine man. Below right was the woodwork craft room Mr Fishy Slamon. the small window below the gable was the photographic lab. Then came the great hall (assemblies, theatricals, films, lunches and all to witness public beatings)


I took a couple of photos until I reached what would have been the girls entrance (it was a completely segregated school), The girls school has been demolished and turned into a car park, but what had been the school kitchens was now various offices and enquiries. I went to enquiries and enquired of another very nice lady (see what did I tell you) if it would be possible to have a look around explaining that this had been the start of my serious learning 50 odd years ago. She explained that she was new to the village (town now) and had only been here for 5 years. We walked around the quadrangle (now blocked in and the grassed square in the middle has had offices built on it (Mr Gooney will turn in his grave, we couldn’t even walk across it never mind build on it). But I went around the class rooms, calling out what they where and trying to remember the class teachers names.
It was such a nice trip down memory lane!!!



Newcastle civic centre and the Hay Market

The Holy of Holies St James's Park










I then went into Newcastle to pick up Linda, we had arranged that she would text me at about 14:00, I kept looking at my mobile but no SMS, I then tried to send her one, alas no go, came up with unable to send! I had a look around for about an hour, but Northumberland street and Eldon centre are always full, but I did have a Savaloy, Pease pudding and stuffing stottie. After about an hour I decided to go back to my Sis’s. I got back and she was not home, we waited and at last a taxi pulled up and Linda was poured out with all of her goods and chattels. After a bit of a discussion (they never believe you do they?) I pulled out my mobile and showed her it just wasn’t working. She also said she had a bit of difficulty trying to make the natives understand her, I reckon it's her Belfast Accent

But I had had quite a nice day





No comments:

Post a Comment