The Storks of Böbs

The Storks of Böbs
A Very Fine Pair

A day trip to Pink Pantherland

Friday 10.06.11


This was the day that we had arranged to meet Annie for lunch in Durham, I was also going to pop in and visit an old mate of mine, we grew up in the same street, where in the scouts, youth clubs, Church Alter Servers and sang (not very well) at folk clubs together. I got to what I thought was his house rang, no answer, so put a card through the letter box saying I will return later. (We shall leave this little story until later).

We then headed across the A1 and directly into Durham, parking at the nice new Milburngate shopping centre that overlooks the river. It had just started to rain, oh well never mind. We had a look around the old city centre, went to the covered market, found the proximity of the Fat Buddha and strolled up towards the Cathedral to fill in a little time until lunch.

The view from the new Milburn shopping centre
The Hospital on the Cathedral square

Being attacked by a  622squadron Gull

We then went back to the Fat Buddha, to meet up with Annie. The restaurant is vary imposing and spacious when once through the doors (it doesn’t look a lot from outside). Annie was waiting at the reception for us, so after the introductions we where shown up (it is on two levels) to our seats. The décor is very pleasing to the eyes and not at all your normal plastic dragon, red velvet kitch.


Linda ordered mineral water, Annie tap water and I, a pot of green tea.

Starters for Linda
crispy wan tans

Starters for Dick

deep fried chicken with spring onions

Mains for Annie

A Prawn dish and rice

Main for Linda

I shall have to ask het but it seems to have prawns and meat in it!

Main for Dick

Phad Thai noodles with beef

The meal was very tasty, sufficient and the service very friendly and prompt. The toilets are well worth a visit, you walk down a hanging chain lined green glowing glass floor towards a mirror door that makes it look as if it goes on for ever. The toilets are very clean and fresh smelling and everything works. This is not always the case.



We finished our meals and by mutual consent decided to go to the Cathedral, it is many, many years since I last visited these hallowed walls.


no chance of you getting sanctuary my dear

I had forgotten how beautiful it is.



I know you are not supposed to take photographs in it, but I did, I did have a verger chasing after me but it was not until I had finished taking the Venerable Bedes tomb that he breathlessly informed me that it was not allowed but I didn’t have to delete them.

the magnificent rose window




and some of the  other stained glass














The cloisters


The girls had gone on there way and by the time I came out they where sitting chatting. We then went to the castle and took a couple of shots of the entrance gate, gate house and keep buildings.
Annie and Linda

Annie and Dick

Nobody and the gate


The great Norman keep


Linda and I then decided on a walk along the river to the wear (to take a few shots of the most famous photographed spot in Durham. It was nice and the students even took the eights out onto the water, just for us?

A stork fishing on the wear


One of the most famous shots of Durham cathedral

We then walked up into the town had a cup of coffee and then headed back to my mates house, pulled up in front of the house, rang the door bell, waited and heard a movement. I thought, in luck! A face appeared and it certainly was not my mate. I apologised and asked had he moved, he said that he had lived there about 8 years and no one of my mates name had lived their in all that time, I said sorry and went back to my car looked in my address book and low and behold I was 2 houses out. So we went along the road rang on the door bell and there was a face that was familiar, Janet my mates wife. So when I told then what had happened they said well that’s funny because his wife is the Doctors receptionist that deals with Colin. Poor bloke must have had an off day as well!



But we had a very nice reminisce and a chat about old times.

No comments:

Post a Comment